Brendan Rodgers Fired By Liverpool And Former Borussia Dortmund Boss Klopp To Replace Him

Liverpool principal owner John W Henry will be part of the board meeting to try and tie up the deal for Klopp
Liverpool will hold a transatlantic board meeting via videophone on Tuesday as they look to tie up the appointment of Jurgen Klopp on a three-year deal.

The former Borussia Dortmund manager is Liverpool’s No 1 choice to succeed the sacked Brendan Rodgers, though Carlo Ancelotti remains in the picture.

Liverpool have already met Klopp on more than one occasion and are aware the 48-year-old has reservations about the way players are recruited by Anfield’s infamous transfer committee.

Klopp has told Liverpool’s Fenway Sports Group owners that he must have the final say on incoming players.

Former Borussia Dortmund boss Klopp is the favourite to replace Brendan Rodgers at Anfield
The board meeting including the key figures on both sides of the Atlantic is expected to rubber-stamp the German as Rodgers’ successor-in-waiting and, providing that is the case, he is expected to sign a three-year deal by the end of the week.

With Rodgers already on holiday with partner Charlotte and her daughter in Marbella, Liverpool want to move on as quickly as possible.

The role of the transfer committee continues to cause ructions, however, with Rodgers telling associates he could not assemble the team he wanted because of age restrictions on signings.

Klopp worked with a director of football at Dortmund and is comfortable with the continental style of recruitment. As such, he is happy to take advice on players, but will insist he has the final word.

Rodgers was a member of the transfer committee and had a significant input, and Liverpool have always insisted a player is never signed unless the manager agrees to the deal.

Carlo Ancelotti is also in the frame to replace Rodgers though Klopp is the favourite
Rodgers felt undermined, though, because the club would not generally spend big money on players over the age of 24. During Rodgers’ time on Merseyside, midfielder Adam Lallana was the only outfield player over 24 bought for a significant amount. He cost £25m in 2014 at the age of 26.

Rodgers has claimed in private that plans last summer to sign Swansea defender Ashley Williams, 31, and left back Ryan Bertrand, 26, were scuppered.

Rodgers put Williams before the committee on more than one occasion, only to be told he could not have him. Rodgers believes this left him with a defensive line-up he knew was not up to the job.

Liverpool’s transfer record under FSG has been very poor, with millions spent on players who have not made the grade.

Klopp has seen this and said privately he doesn’t want his reputation tarnished by being landed with players he has not chosen himself.

It has emerged, meanwhile, that Rodgers knew after the home draw with Norwich last month that he would be sacked, despite his ongoing public insistence that he was not under pressure.

The atmosphere at Liverpool’s Melwood training ground has been dreadful since the 3-1 defeat at Manchester United in September, with players picking up on Rodgers’ clear acceptance of his fate.

Rodgers issued a statement through the League Managers Association on Monday.

    He said: ‘There have been very memorable moments during my time at Liverpool and I would like to thank all of the players for their hard work and commitment. The current squad is one in transition but I expect to see them continue to grow and develop.’

Please follow and like us:
error
Source: Mail Online

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone